2.22.2011

So Far, So Good

Riley has done great with his transition into glasses.  He got them first thing Saturday morning and he was very excited.  Casey and I both took him and it was a bittersweet moment.  First of all, it changes his whole look.  He looks so much more grown up and that makes me so sad.  I just kept picturing my baby, not a grown boy.  Then, we just are a little apprehensive of other kids.  I will just have my heart broken if anyone makes fun of my baby.  You just don't ever WANT your child to be in a situation that makes them more prone to getting made fun of.  We all know how mean kids can be.  I also worry about him losing something so expensive and let's face it, he is only 4 and a half years old. With all of that being said, I have kind of been a basket case about this whole transition. 

After getting his glasses, we went to our soccer game later that morning and we saw Anna and he put them on for Anna and was fine with it then.  He wore them all day, taking a break every now and again for his eyes and head to rest.  He cleaned them constantly and kept up with his case very well.  Sunday, he wore them to church and at home.  Well, when it came time to get out of the car today at school, he didn't want to :(  He kept asking me if he looked "cool."  I totally assured him that he did and he went into school.  It was touch and go while I set up our room, one minute he would be ok and then next, he was taking them off.  I talked to him and to his teachers and they did a GREAT job of helping the whole class transition into Riley's new look.  I must say, I was so worried....really makes you think about others who have true disabilities and other challenges they face.  This is nothing compared to some things and it all boils down to you hurting or worrying when your child is hurting and worrying.  At the end of the day, I am happy to report that he had a great day and was very confident when he left school.  I prayed for him all day and just as God always does, he answered my prayer :)


No comments:

Post a Comment