7.27.2010

Bentley

As many of you know, there has been concern about Bentley and her blood sugar spiking up.  We saw the pediatric endocrinologist today.  Please read below - I know it is kinda scientific, but you know medicine these days!

We saw 2 dr's....a resident first, and she talked with us and got the details of what has been happening. She was not too concerned at all about what is going on. She gave us the guidelines for truly diagnosing type 1 diabetes - Fasting blood sugar of <129 and a 2 hour post meal blood sugar of <200. Bentley had 2 readings on her journal that met the second category and she said that my blood sugar meter has a margin of error of 15% either way (higher or lower) and that based on the fact, that she is healthy and has continued to gain weight, that she is not concerned right now at all. She did say that does not mean she would not develop it, it just basically meant if things continue the way they are right now, then we don't have any concern for diabetes. There is also a test for the antibodies that a type 1 diabetic has (this would be what I passed to her). A child's chance of getting diabetes type 1 is 1 in 500. A child that test positive for these antibodies chances increase to 1 in 50. So with that said, just because she has the antibodies does NOT mean that she will have type 1 diabetes. There is also "Maturity Onset of Diabetes of the Young" aka MODY - this is like a mild version of diabetes type 1 (that is the short version and best describes the condition. They asked me if I was a MODY bc I would not have that antibody if so (and therefore, I would not pass it to her). I told them I do not know if I was or not. They asked me if I was checked for the antibody and once again, I didn't know. I will get it done next time at the dr. Anyway, she suggested that we DON'T do the antibody test on BB because if she does have the antibody, it doesn't mean she will have diabetes, so that would only make me worry. She then went to talk to her superior and we met with him. He on the other hand was more concerned than she was. He wants to probe into why Bentley drinks so much - so we are checking her urine for sugar. If there is no sugar, he is also going to check and see if she is making the hormone to make her urine concentrate. That is a seperate disease and we will go down that road if we have to. He is running the test for the antibody (which I am glad he is). If there is no antibody and no sugar in her urine, then we can dismiss this and just assume my meter was off. She still could develop into a MODY especially if I am a MODY, but she is not there at this time and we can just spot check her sugar over time and see. So first thing is first and that is to run the antibody test and the urine test.


I am just going to believe that she will show no signs of the antibody or sugar in her urine.  I will keep everyone posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment