5.02.2011

Bentley's Trip to ER

This past weekend has been quite eventful.  Casey took a company trip to Vegas Friday through Monday, so it was just me and the kids.   Bentley had been allergy ridden (like everyone else in Houston) for a couple of weeks. Friday night her cough was really bad, so I gave her a breathing treatment so she/I could sleep. Saturday morning, she was just laying around and coughing still. Riley had his first t-ball game and he REALLY wanted to go. I didnt have anyone to watch B, so I figured she could make it for an hour and then I would take her into the dr. About halfway into the game, she just kept fussing and tossing and turning. I finally took her to the car and she was wheezing really bad and her chest was retracting really bad. She was starting to look a little pale and she was acting weird. I sent Riley home with a teammate and took B to our pedi. Once the receptionist saw her, they put us back into a room immediately and checked her o2 levels and started a breathing treatment. Then they gave an oral steroid and checked o2 levels again and they hadn't come up. So they gave her another breathing treatment and same thing...she was still laboring and o2 levels had not improved so she sent us over to ER for a chest X-ray, oxygen, and more breathing treatments. I was a nervous wreck, especially since Casey was gone, so I called my sister-in-law Tricia ans asked her to come with me.  Bentley is a very strong willed child and a horrible patient and I knew it was going to take 2 people to handle her.  After 4 hours, xrays, oxygen, doubles doses of albuterol and having more steroids we were realeased. She was diagnosed with RAD - reactive airway disease (like toddler asthma) and bronchiolitis. She is doing better today and yesterday, but this morning, she was running around and her chest started to retract and she was wheezing.  I immediately gave her a breathing treatment and had her sit down and she got better.  I spoke to the pedi today and he referred us to Dr. Zambrano, our allergist.  It was very scary and I hope and pray we don't have to go through that again.

I want to say thanks to Jenn and Melissa for getting Riley home and keeping him all day!  I appreciate it.  I also want to say mucho thanks to Tricia for coming to the hospital and dealing with all of this like a trooper.  It wasn't fun, nor was it a short time.  It is so nice to have such good friends and family.  I am so thankful!!!!
In the ER, exhausted and getting some oxygen

At home, being a good patient and taking breathing treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment