8.12.2010

Bentley's Blood Test Results

I finally heard from the nurse today on Bentley's blood test results.  Prayers have been answered - she tested negative for the antibodies associated with Type 1 diabetes.  This means that she has the same chance of getting type 1 as the rest of the children her age (1 in 500 chance).  The Dr wants to see her back in 4 months to monitor her urine and her A1c.  We still have to discuss the possibility of her being a MODY.  After doing all of the studying that I have done regarding MODY, I really do believe that I am a MODY.  I am going to discuss getting tested at my next endocrinology appointment.  It will not affect my treatment whatsoever, but it will explain a lot.  If I am a MODY, then my children have a 50% chance of getting the genetic mutation that I have.  They now have genetic testing available to help determine if one is a MODY, but it is relatively new and they have only identified 6 genes that could carry the mutation, but they believe there are more.  It is also very expensive and possibly not covered by insurance.  Point being, it is expensive and you can get a negative even though you are a MODY because of the other genes they have not discovered.  The Dr. wants to talk about testing Bentley, but we will see at that time where they are with testing and how much it is.  It will eventually become covered by insurance companies and we may have to wait to test at that time.  As for now, she is to be seen periodically to keep an eye on her urine and her A1c as well as to make sure she is gaining weight and growing normally.

Whew!  With all that being said, I give all the glory to God not only for positive results, but also for the knowledge he has bestowed upon me with all of this.  I realize it is very confusing, but it makes perfect sense to me.  I also know what to look for (which is what got us here), so I have come to be grateful for that knowledge instead of scared of it.  No matter what path we end up on, God will continue to take care of us just as he always has.  Thanks to each and everyone of you for your thoughts and prayers. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12.8.10

    I agree! God definitely gives us knowledge for power and not for fear! you know who fear comes from!!! Praising the Lord for your good news and encouraging you to continue planning your days and ways! You are blessed with an Awesome prayer warrior partner this year and she'll have your back! God bless you and your little sweeties! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. great news carrie! glad you're littlest one is going to be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete