3.30.2010

I Miss You Daddy

Two years ago today, I lost something, someone so very important to me. My Dad was one of the most admirable men that ever lived. He was so kind and caring. He really did care about everyone genuinely. He instilled that sense of love and understanding in me. His Christian example was so obvious to everyone, not just me. He treated everyone, his family, his friends, his employees with love and respect. This was how he witnessed to people. He did not judge or shove religion down any one's throat. He just lived life by example. He did not believe in lying or cheating or stealing. His business was run on honest Christian principles. Everyone who took their cars to his shop saw this example, day in and day out. Now that I am grown and out in the real world, I realize, his type is rare. There is a lot of dishonesty out there. Everyone who knew him loved him. Even if they didn't know him personally, they loved him. Some of the people who live in mom's neighborhood had never spoken to him, but every day when they would drive to and from work and pass mom and dad's house, and he would wave to them. That was just him.

It is still very hard for me to remember the good times without getting very sad because I miss him, but it is starting to get easier. I was just remembering his nightly routine last night...just the things he did, the robe he wore, the way he smelled and I cannot walk down that road yet without shedding tears. I know that I would not be the person that I am today without the example that both he and mom set for me. I think when you make that much of an impact on someones life, it just takes lots and lots and lots of time for those wounds to heal. I miss him so much. I miss his smile. I wish my kids could have really known him. But instead of dwelling on that, I just rejoice that I got to know him. I focus on the fact that he made such an impact on me and shaped me and the things I believe in. And I will pass that on to my children in hopes that one day, I can shape and mold their life the way he did mine.

I cannot wait to be reunited with him one day and I am so thankful that I will be with him again beause of the blood that Jesus Christ shed for us.  Easter will always be special to me, not only because of the reminder of what my heavenly Father means to me, but also what my worldly Father means to me too.
This is me and dad in Colorado with Missy and Hans our weiner dogs

I love this picture!

This was on fathers day 2007 at Mary Joe Peckham park in Katy

This was Dad's bday celebration in 2006.  Riley is less than 2 weeks old.

This was Christmas 2006

Pawpaw holding his "Partner" when he came home from the hospital

This was taken Easter 2008 one week before he died

I miss you Daddy and love you so much.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Carrie, you've got me all teared up and I didn't even know him. I can't imagine how that feels but I know I will be in the same boat one day. I'm glad it's starting to get a little easier for you.

    ReplyDelete